Sunday, August 17, 2008

Why sex isn't a good dinner topic for the dinner table

Eddie decided it was time for the big S-E-X talk with the big kids. I guess he figured that in past generations, most kids have learned about the birds and the bees by seeing animals in action. Eddie and I remain united in our commitment to maintain a pet-free zone in our house, and we live in the suburbs, so Bryce and Annie haven't seen many animals getting frisky. So tonight at dinner, the following conversation ensued. I won't reveal the name of the child in the discussion to protect the name of the (no longer quite so) innocent...

Eddie: When I was a kid, our neighbors had horses. And one day I was outside looking at the horses and saw the male horse put his penis into the female horse's---

Our kid: Ear?

At that point I choked on my garlic bread and had to walk out of the room, leaving him to finish the conversation without reinforcements.

15 comments:

Alissa said...

omgosh... i'd have choked too!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Holy crap that's funny!

smart mama said...

please- you should have sold tickets- that is so hilarious i can't even believ it- I have to know what eddie said next

Courtney said...

jeff and i got a good laugh out of this one.

sheri said...

oh man, I'm dying already!

Stevens said...

Hi Shelah!
It was great to run into you in Utah. You are so fast! Do you still run with any of the girls down there? I ran into your blog from Cherise's. It's fun to see your family and what you're up too. Your stories make me laugh. Good luck with your upcoming races!
Jennie

Anonymous said...

LOL!!

Megan said...

ROFL. That is the best!

Ambrosia said...

I think we need a whole new post from Eddie to tell us how the rest of the discussion went. I would love to hear how it finished. ;)

Shelah said...

the rest of the conversation went something like this (I kid you not...).

Eddie: No, not her ear.

Other kid: The eye?

He then went on to explain that the male horse climbed on top of the female horse and put his penis in her vagina.

The first kid's horrified response: You don't climb on top of Mom, do you?

Terry Mastny said...

Shelah --- I can't wait for my next visit. The kids will surely give me an earful on their take of this conversation. Mom

Gabriela said...

hilarious! I hate that talk!

cchrissyy said...

Hi Shelah, I followed the link today from FMH, and it was worth it just for this!

bluestocking mama said...

that's hilarious! how did eddie maintain his calm?!

Becky said...

I am laughing at the visual on that one! The things kids can think of!