Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Six kids...

...is a lot more than four.

I've heard from lots of moms that once you have more than three kids, each additional kid seems not to add significantly to the chaos. I beg to differ.

Yesterday, I spent the morning with a friend. We decided to take our kids out to lunch at the new mall, and she wanted to run home to grab an outfit she needed to exchange. She took her toddler with her, I took kept her two older kids and loaded them, along with all of mine, into the minivan to meet her. We had to park a couple of blocks from the restaurant and I felt more like a preschool teacher than a mom, instructing all three girls to hold hands and Bryce to be Isaac's buddy as I strapped Maren in the stroller and paraded all of them down the street. I usually think all eyes are on me as I walk around with my four, but all eyes really were on me as I walked with an eight year-old, two six year-olds, a four year-old, a three year-old and a one year-old. The servers at the restaurant emitted audible gasps when I asked for a table for two adults and seven kids.

It was fun, though. And I've never shied away from the spotlight. Especially when burgers and milkshakes are on the menu.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!! Yeah we went out to dinner with a friend while her husband was out of town so it was me, my husband and our four children. Our friend and her four kids. We looked like quite the sight (one dh two dw and 8 kids LOL)

Company EIGHT said...

I'm sitting here laughing, only because I can completely relate. My friends and I have been accused of being the local daycare more times than I care to count. I don't mind either actually--I would rather be out with all our kids than at home!

Blue said...

shelah i'm a fan in your cheering section!

i just read all five of your segullah posts. i've never been on that blog before. and now i'm wondering HTH?!! you manage to keep up with so many different blogs and activities in your life?

I know you've cloned yourself. One clone to run, one to clean house like a drill sergeant, one to marshal 4 kids around, one to read all your books, and two clones dedicated just to writing 24/7 whilst the original you handles everything else.

truly, you're a marvelous work and a wonder! i promise crossmyhearthopetodiestickaneedleinmyeye i won't lie double pinky swear that if you tell me your cloning secret i won't tell ANYone! i'll be the utmost soul of discretion. deal??? ♥

smart mama said...

So i think you need to tell eddie you're shooting for 6 now and then compromise

Becky said...

I'm laughing because I am that "crazy lady with 6 kids" (or soon to be!) And I must say I usually love it. I love telling strangers at stores that I'm "living my dream to be a mother of 6" You should see their jaws drop!