Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The symbol of summer....

Tonight I walked into the bedroom and tripped over Bryce's Crocs. I know a lot of people hate Crocs, that there are entire websites dedicated to Croc-loathing, and that in a recent Newsweek magazine essay, it's apparently ok to teach your children to make gross generalizations about the fat dorks who wear Crocs. But for me, Crocs represent summer. I make him wear brown loafers to church on Sunday, but other than that, I can probably count on one hand the number of times he's worn anything other than his Crocs all summer. They're outlawed at his school (for good reason, I think), and he has a brand-new pair of New Balance sneakers and another brand-new pair of Lands' End casual shoes sitting in his closet, waiting to be worn next week. But I'll miss finding his cammo Crocs strewn all over the house (and his sister's bright blue tye-dye ones as well) when he and Annie have to put on real shoes and go back to school next Monday.

It's been a good summer.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm looking forward to putting away the kids' summer shoes ;) but I'll keep wearing my croc flip flops as long as its warm. They are the most comfortable shoes I have.

Anonymous said...

My dd just got crocs from my mom yesterday. She can't wear them to school but I bet she'll wear them everywhere else. I think she wore them to bed last night.

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

we start next week, too. i have no idea if some footwear is outlawed. i'm way too new at this.

smart mama said...

i have never succumbed-- but i appreciate their symbolic summer goodness

TJ said...

i am a croc hater. i liked the article in newsweek! it made me smile.