Sunday, August 17, 2008

Teaching by the seat of my pants...

Today it was my day to teach Relief Society. Last night I pulled up the lesson on the laptop and did some cut and paste magic (selecting the quotes and questions I wanted to use and putting them in a new document) while I was watching the women's marathon on the Olympics. This morning I woke up early, sat down at the computer desk, printed out my notes, and briefly reviewed them. Then I put the notes in the church bag and didn't think about them again until Relief Society started, when I pulled them out of the bag, set them down somewhere, and stood at the back of the room bouncing a baby while her mother played the piano.

When I handed the baby back to her mom so I could teach, the notes were gone. Kaput. So what does a teacher do when she has 25 minutes to fill and no lesson? She laughingly admits her problem to the class, says a quick, silent, fervent prayer, and borrows a lesson manual. Thankfully, the class took pity on me and had a lot to say. It was actually pretty funny, but next time I won't take the lesson out of the bag until it's time to take the stage.

The funny thing is that we still haven't found it. Five pages of material, a bunch of cut-up quotes and a chalk and eraser thingy just disappeared.... Maybe it was a test. I'm not sure I passed.

3 comments:

lyn said...

You did great. I watched you put your lesson on the table - I saw it right there! I know I did. Ugh.

Hey - at least the practice hymn took a long time today, right?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You did great, you must have really studied :) It was fine! :)