Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Free at last, free at last....

...Tomorrow at 9:15 in the morning, Isaac will be free at last. Or at least his arm will be. The pediatrician called today to say that after consulting with his friend in infectious diseases, he's decided that it would probably be best for Isaac to stop taking the IV antibiotics. His immune system is becoming more and more compromised each week (and yeah, Annie has a hacking cough-- we're trying to quarantine her), so they think that it's more important to keep some of his white blood cells alive than to continue the drugs. I'm glad. He's been on the meds for more than six weeks. Tomorrow he's getting the PICC line pulled and I'm going to come home and run him a big bubble bath. Six weeks is a very long time for a three-year-old to go without a bath. Since baths and PICC lines aren't compatible, we've developed sort of a middle ages approach toward bathing around here. His hands and face get washed occasionally, we wash the hair before church on Sunday, but most of his body has not had a good scrubbing since before Halloween. I don't think he smells. But maybe I'm just so used to his funk that it doesn't bother me anymore.

5 comments:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

That's great news!

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Yay! Such great news to hear.

Email me if you want some tips on healing his gut after all those strong antibiotics.

chloe said...

Oh, you are amazing!

Gabriela said...

"As to me he does not stinketh"

That's terrific news. Congrats to him.

sheri said...

Yay! Exciting!