Thursday, September 13, 2007

I think that no matter when your baby wakes up for the day....

...it's probably at least an hour earlier than you'd like it to be.

My wonderful friend Janet called me the other day. She has been sick over the last few weeks and as a result, she and her husband are both, to put it mildly, very tired. She also has an adorable four month-old baby, who, she lamented, keeps waking up so early. I asked her how early was "so early" and she said, "most mornings it's exactly 7:1.3"

For Janet, 7:13 is excessively early. It's her first baby, and she and her husband have always been of the "late to bed, late to rise" persuasion, so it shouldn't surprise you to find out that I spent a lot of Friday and Saturday nights during the three years that we lived down the street from each other asleep on their couch or their living room floor while they watched movies with Eddie.

I am an early-riser by nature.

Maren is an earlier-riser. This morning, she chose to get up for the day at 4:55am. I tried everything in my power to get her to GO BACK TO SLEEP but it was no use. By 5:40, she, Bryce and Isaac were all running around the house. After lunch today, I snuck into my bedroom to finish the book I was reading (about neglectful parenting, ironically) and immediately fell asleep. An hour later, when I woke up, I found Isaac sitting by himself downstairs, looking out the window forlornly. He had closed the baby gate behind him when he went downstairs, and couldn't get it open to come upstairs to find me. Unlike my three other kids, who would have raised holy hell at that point, he wandered around the downstairs, tried to take a nap himself (evidenced by the blanket on the couch), tried to get himself a drink (evidenced by the milk jug on the counter) and probably tried to get back over the gate.

Maren's up. Again. Gotta go. Lucy, I saw your meme and I'm doing it, I just need a little more brain power than I have today.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

I thought 5:45 was a bad wakeup time, I would really be miserable if my kids woke me before 5!

Isaac must be a really nice boy to not scream and wake you up. I'm pretty sure all of mine would have been screaming hysterically.

Gabriela said...

4:55? ouch. My little guys an early riser but he doesn't normally wake up before 6:00. I am a late riser so it just about kills me.

I'm Cute said...

Hey! And I'm fixing the FMH link and found myself! Muffin did sleep until 7y:45 this morning and it was great.

But I'll tell you, those days of believing 2 a.m. a normal bedtime have long past. It's currently 9:09, the baby has been asleep 2 minutes, and i think I'll join him very very soon.

hugs to you!

I'm Cute said...

Oh, and poor little Isaac. What a honey.

g said...

The image of Isaac is sweet! Poor little guy. My kids don't wake tooooo early, but my toddler has been refusing to sleep before 10pm most nights this week and it's driving me crazy!

"Amanda" said...

I love this post. You sound so wise. And thanks for the pep talk. My little one wakes up for the day around 5:15.