Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I know I always say that I feel like a single mom...

...but this week Eddie is gone all week and I really feel like a single mom.

I don't know how all of the real single moms do it. I can "just keep swimming" most days until six or seven, as long as I know that when Eddie walks in the door, he'll hold the baby, supervise the homework, and yell at the kids to get back in bed for the millionth time. Most days, I pull about a twelve-hour solo parenting day. Yesterday was a sixteen-hour solo parenting day, and I'm telling ya, those last four hours were killer. Even call nights aren't always so bad, because I know that it's just one night (well, two if you count the next night when he's sleeping off the lack of sleep from the previous night, but that's still not five nights in a row).

I've decided that no matter how annoying he gets, he's too valuable to me as an extra set of hands to divorce for at least another ten years (and yes, I'm totally kidding about that one).

Besides, I miss him. So do the kids.

Friday can not come soon enough.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

I frequently think about how hard it would be to be a single mom, have a dh who travels all of the time or one doing his residency. I am very happy to have a husband who is home by 6 every night. There are many days that I am counting down for his arrival home.

Alissa said...

i hear you girlfriend. weekends are my reprieve. i'm so glad matt's only working 50ish hours/wk instead of what could be ALOT more.

lyn said...

Being a single mom is not easy!! (speaking from 4 years of experience) But, for single moms, there is no expectation of help from anyone - it's you or no-one. I think psychologically, when you KNOW someone else is *supposed* to be (or reasonably could be) available to help, it is harder to push on. Of course, I only had one...not four!

I feel it for you!! Call if you need an out (we are, of course, your HT, so you technically have a claim on us!)

Lucy said...

I totally get this. This year has been additionally hard on me because Jay gets home so late due to the commute. Then, when he does arrive after being gone for 13 hours, he's beat and not exactly ready to "take over". We've adjusted, but....there are a lot of days when I feel like a single mom.:) I hope Friday comes sooner than you think!

Long live present, awake, happy and helpful husbands and dads! They make life so much more enjoyable.

sheri said...

I don't know which is worse...having them *gone* at work that long, or having them come home around 5pm and have to get work done at the dining room table (i.e. phone calls, contracts on the laptop, etc) for the next 3 hours while I try to keep the kids out of his way in our 2bdrm/1bath apartment. Most days? I'm wishing he were actually *away* in an office somewhere. So I hear ya...those polygamists are onto something! lol