Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Pimping my ride?

Though I haven't bought any testicles for my minivan lately, I have become slightly obsessed with finding the perfect bumper sticker. When I was a kid, I thought bumper stickers were so cool. I begged my parents to put one of the "My child is an honor student..." stickers on their car (they never did). My dad had an beat-up station car, unaffectionately called "the brown bomb" which spent the last year of its long life with the driver's side door tied shut with a rope. It would have been the perfect car to plaster with annoying bumper stickers (RULDS2 anyone?). If it distracted the drivers behind us to the point that we got rear-ended, all the better.
But my parents never bumper-stickered that car. Instead, my mom, in a fit of I don't know what, put a "Give Blood, a Gift from the Heart" sticker on the back of our minivan. From that point on, the van was known by my friends as "the heart van." Pretty soon, I grew out of my affection for putting my personal mantra on the back of my vehicle. My parents surprised me on my 21st birthday with a red Dodge Neon with "Shelah" license plates, which attracted more attention than any annoying bumper sticker ever would (especially when my brother inherited the car the next year) and I decided I'd rather live in vehicular anonymity. I did put a see-through BYU decal on the back of my parents' van when I went off to college, but Eddie drew the line a few years ago when I bought a BYU license plate holder for him ("we graduated five years ago, get over it").

Since I've become passionate about running, I want to shout to the world that I'm a runner. These are three of my current favorites.

But I think I might just wait until I can get this one.

What would your sticker say if you were pimping your ride?

8 comments:

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Found one on cafepress:

"Eat. Sleep. Read."

That'll do.

sheri said...

I have a good friend that has the "26.2" sticker on their car. I think it's cool. In case that mattered in your decision making :)

chloe said...

Anne got me a "26.2" sticker and it's sitting in my drawer, anxiously awaiting Oct. 6th, when it will be affixed to my automobile. I cannot wait. I will be taking the sticker with me so that I can get a picture of me putting it on my car the day I run the darn thing. Woohoo!!!

Queen of the Castle said...

Let's see: "Share the Road", "Same Road, Same Rules, Same Rights" because we are big bikers at my house. Actually we could get the "Share the Road" license plates, but that costs way more than just getting a bumper sticker that says it.

Melissa said...

I love the My mommy is faster one!!!

Gabriela said...

I like the faster mommy one too-but if I ever ran a marathon-I think I'd go with the 26.2. A really big one that covered the whole back window. :)

smart mama said...

pu one fo those on to make me feel bad- I don't know mine would say something like "my mommy makes more choc chip cookies than your mommy"

Blue said...

i could have totally written this post. in my case, it was a bondo, rust, and mustard-colored 1963 dodge plymouth valiant that was a sight to behold. i yearned to just paint it black or something nondescript. alas.

i don't have any (non-govt. issued) stickers on our current vehicles...but when they hit their teen years, i'm sure we'll start decking them out. they'll have to last us a long time still. if i could find it, i'd probably put my favorite sig. saying on there:

Chocolate. It's not just for breakfast anymore.