Friday, October 31, 2014

Book Review: Elements of Style by Erin Gates

Title: Elements of Style: Designing a Home and a Life
Author: Erin Gates
Enjoyment Rating: ****
Source: Hardback Copy

Although Erin Gates has been blogging (at Elements of Style) for a long time, I only stumbled onto her recently. While we were starting our renovation of the casita kitchen, I got really into looking at other remodeling projects in progress. Gates happened to be redoing her garage/master bedroom and bath/laundry room (and maybe some other stuff), and I was blown away by what she was doing (the tile in her bathroom is swoony and her bedroom built-ins are amazing-- follow her on Instagram to check it out). Anyway, I quickly learned that she was about to release her first book, and like the lemming that I am, I ordered it.

The book is amazing. She uses her own design work (which is gorgeous-- I seriously love the New England bones of her buildings and the way she combines traditional and modern elements in almost all of her work), and her own home to showcase how to create a stylish home, room by room. These are not cookie cutter projects-- in fact, for each room she talks about different design traditions and how to apply them stylishly. She weaves in personal stories about her own life which kept me enthralled as a reader. This book has it all, and for once, I'm happy about making an impulse purchase of a coffee table book. This is one that I'll come back to again and again.

No comments: