Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Book Review: Drop Dead Healthy by AJ Jacobs

Title: Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Quest for Bodily Perfection
Author: AJ Jacobs
Enjoyment Rating: **
Source: Audible for iPhone
Books I've read this year: 72

I think this might be the last AJ Jacobs book I read for a while. I find him entertaining as a writer, but this is the fourth book I've read where he hasn't varied from the "I'm neurotic but willing to try anything for at least a month" persona. Frankly, it's getting a little old. Even his adorable wife Julie, who calls him on every weird whim, doesn't do it for me any more. He might be writing about growing a beard (like in The Year of Living Biblically) or he might be training for a triathlon, like in Drop Dead Healthy, but the books aren't all that different. He tries something out, he makes some jokes about it, he researches it, he adopts some things and drops others, he annoys his wife, he makes a general pest of himself. Endearing for a book or two, and a little bit annoying after four. This book has helped me realize that an audiobook can really enhance a good book, but it can make a sort of meh book seem really, really long. Or maybe I just really, really don't want to eat my veggies.

No comments: