Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Book Review: Pretty Woman Spitting by Leanna Adams

Title: Pretty Woman Spitting: An American's Travels in China
Author: Leanna Adams
Enjoyment Rating: 5/10
Referral: Someone on RQ (the adoption board I'm addicted to) told me about it
Source: Kindle for iPad
Books I've read this year: 13

I've been through certain life experiences, whether they were living abroad in college, waiting for a missionary, giving birth. raising children, adoption, where I've thought, "Hey, maybe I should write a book about that." In Pretty Woman Spitting, Leanna Adams does just that. Several years ago, when Adams was in her mid-twenties and not quite sure what she wanted to do with her life, she decided to spend a year teaching English in Wuhu, China (about an hour from Nanjing, which is where we're going to get Rose). Adams does a great job capturing the cultural dissonance she feels when she arrives in China. I'll admit that I'm a little bit nervous about the trip (not as nervous as Eddie, though), and it's the things about Chinese culture like spitting and squatty potties and staring that have me packing my suitcase with kleenex, hand sanitizer, baseball caps, and sunglasses. But the book has no narrative arc (it's a year, she gets to the end of it), and there's a distracting amount of punctuation/grammatical problems. Adams is funny, and the book is entertaining, but there are other books out there that tell a similar story and actually have a story to tell that's more than a travelogue.

No comments: