Sunday, October 23, 2011

Book Review: The Mapping of Love and Death by Jacqueline Winspear

Title: The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs Book 7)
Author: Jacqueline Winspear
Enjoyment Rating: 9/10
Referral: The 7th book in the series
Source: Audible for iPhone
Books I've read this year: 133 (recordbreaking!)

In 2010, I read more books than I'd ever read before, at least since I started counting (and I have a feeling that counting was what made me read so much-- being public about my reading really motivates me). This year, I wasn't sure it was possible to read more books than I did last year, so I was stoked to break that record by the beginning of October. And it felt particularly fitting to break that record with an audiobook, since listening to audiobooks is the primary reason why I've read so much more this year than last, and also the primary reason why I am now woefully uninformed about current events (because I used to spend that time listening to NPR). I was delighted that I broke last year's record with this particular book, because of all the Maisie Dobbs books, this one was my favorite.

Okay, okay, I know that when I read Maisie Dobbs I should care about more important things, like the plight of homeless veterans or whether or not Maisie will ever trade in her black daydress for something more fashionable. As I've said before, I feel lame because I keep wanting Maisie to get emotionally healthy enough to want a man in her life. I mean, the old girl has got to be 35 or so now, so time's a-ticking (this said by someone who is 36). The thing is, I'm not sure Maisie has wanted a husband or kids, and evidence in the books points to the fact that she'd find it difficult to make some of the sacrifices children and husbands require. Also, Maisie sees herself as a bit of an unintentional trailblazer-- she got an education, rose above her low social class, and now she's a working woman with an excellent reputation. But I want her to fall in love!

Way, way back in Book 1, I said something to myself. I said, "I think Maisie is eventually going to fall in love with _______" (I don't want to spoil it for you). Of course, it seemed impossible at the time that she would ever fall for __________-- even more impossible than Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy actually getting together. But lo and behold, in Book 7, Maisie and _________ fall madly, deeply in love. Not really. They fall discreetly and companionably in love, but wildly and madly would be out of character for Maisie. I found myself wiping my eyes when I was running and driving more times than I can count this week-- I was just so glad that Maisie finally found love. Now I just hope she doesn't screw it up!

And, oh yeah, the mystery of this one is pretty decent too. And there's a very sad, very engrossing event in Maisie's personal life. You have to read it to find out-- and I promise, if you're a Maisie Dobbs fan, don't quit because six was a little lame. Seven is worth it!

1 comment:

Kermit~the~Frog said...

I just finished six so came here to reread about seven while I wait to nab it at the library next week. Six was lame? I said it was the best one yet on Goodreads! Too funny. All the little situations brewing to come to a head in a half dozen years or so...maybe my delight is partly in anticipation.

Can't wait for seven. Eight will take ages, 15 people are ahead of me.