Saturday, April 2, 2011

Book #38: Maisie Dobbs

Maisie Dobbs (Book 1)Title: Maisie Dobbs
Author: Jacqueline Winspear

A few weeks ago I went to dinner with my old roommates from London, and they all gushed over Maisie Dobbs. I ordered the audiobook and also fell in love. The book reminds me of the Alexander McCall Smith books (except they're set in Bloomsbury instead of Botswana), but they're much deeper and richer. In fact, I thought the mystery in this book was really secondary to Maisie's character. My mom listened to this audiobook too and liked it so much she immediately went home and put the second, third, and fourth books in the series on her iPod. If you like smart mysteries, books set in London, or stories with a Marxist/Feminist bent, you'll probably appreciate Maisie Dobbs.

No comments: