Saturday, August 8, 2009

Why we need two straight legs...

Over the last few weeks, I've run a couple of races: on July 24th, I finished the Deseret News 10K in 39:39; this morning, my mom, my brother and I all ran the Provo River Half Marathon. I ran the first half of the race with my little brother (his first half!) and then ditched him, coming in at 1:32:39 (I think). Summer running has been so great here-- a couple of days each week I try to hit the trails up in Millcreek Canyon, which is so much more scenic and temperate than the sidewalks of Houston in August. I feel like I'm finally inching off the plateau I spent most of the last year hanging out on. So this summer I'm happy for my healthy, straight legs.

Someone in my family hasn't had healthy, straight legs for the last two years. And while we've hoped that Isaac's leg would straighten on his own, and he'd be able to run without a limp, it hasn't happened. He has made a lot of progress, hiking to the Great Salt Lake and Timpanogos Cave this week, but unless he has surgery, his leg is never going to allow him to do the things other kids his age can do. So on August 20th, he's going to have his leg reset. I haven't blogged about it yet, because I think I'm still in denial. Yes, it's a pretty serious operation. Yes, it means he'll have to be in the hospital again. Yes, it means at least another six weeks of a spica cast. Yes, it means he'll start preschool late this fall. Yes, it's going to be hard. But in the end, if he has two healthy, straight legs, legs that can carry him, then it will be worth it.

Please tell me it will be worth it.

11 comments:

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Totally and completely worth it, Shelah. He's a great, brave boy and you are utterly equipped to handle this.

You can show him that spinning video from last time so he can recreate it for you.

Hugs.

Blue said...

we are so going to be hanging out with him during his recovery. B&B will come play, read books, and make him laugh. i'll be bringing him some yummies to eat and share.

we're so sorry you all have to endure this. we adore that darling boy.

i may not actually be in town on the 20th, but i'll talk to you soon and see what i can work out.

thinking of Iz

FoxyJ said...

When I read this I thought "oh man!" And you're right--it will be hard but it will be worth it. We'll be praying for you, and if there's anything I can do let me know.

Laura said...

Wow those are awesome times. I just found the Deseret News races today online...looked fun...The Provo Half was a great race! So beautiful and fast, just wish it was a little better organized.

Anonymous said...

yes, it will be worth it! And congrats on a great race.

Flutterbug said...

I didn't know you were doing the 10 on the 24th, I should have looked for you! Good luck!

Lei said...

I can't imagine how anxiety provoking this is for you. But you have been through it before. :) And great job on 2 great race times!

Terry Mastny said...

Your ultimate reward will be to see Isaac racing away on two healthy legs. It will be hard, but worth it --- and remember, he said, "I can't wait to spin like a turtle again!" Now there's an optimist for you when even a spica cast has its virtues!

Afton said...

Shelah, I'm really sorry about Isaac, don't know what else to say but that really stinks. you're right, it's better to fix him up now. Good luck with everything!

Not to sound insensitive about Isaac, but I really really want to talk about your races--HOLY COW GIRL! ! ! You are absolutely INCREDIBLE!!! I don't know if people have any idea how fast that is, I mean that is seriously insanely fast. What were your places and how many people were there? I just tried splitting the times up, was that a 6:30min 10K and a 7min half? I'm so in awe. I know why you were in a plateau last year, it's because you ran with me! Thanks though, I still owe you somehow for that. I am so so in awe of you. I'd love it if you blogged more about your training and miles and paces sometimes. And more race details! Congrats!

I'm just glad you told me that women don't peak until their 30s because I want to try to run faster in the future, but I've had too many aches and pains recently to get in the way of things so I'm just counting on later. I'm so inspired, way to go!

Afton said...

Seriously Shelah, what was your place? I can't find any info on it besides the mens race online for the 10K.

Afton said...

Okay, and for the 1/2, lame-o people. Where are the results??