Wednesday, July 29, 2009

With a twinkle of the nose...

When I was a little girl, part of me was always secretly glad to have a sick day from school. I'd lie on the couch and watch tv all day. Bewitched was my favorite, even though the show seemed to have only one story line-- Darrin called around 5pm to say he was bringing his boss and some clients home for dinner and needed to impress them. So Samantha turned on her witchy powers (she must have had some fantastic powers to keep Tabitha happily sitting in her high chair all afternoon) and whipped up something magical.

Tonight I feel like the 60s housewife without the superpowers. Eddie's got some potential co-worker and his wife showing up in less than an hour. Will he be home to meet them? Unlikely, considering that I haven't heard a word from him all day. So I'm supposed to entertain them (and if you've been reading the blog for a while, you know that I fear nothing more than social situations with strangers from Eddie's work), show them around my pristine house (yeah right, we've had five kids here all day. I just spent five minutes finding my feet under inches of mud after following Isaac into the yard to turn off a hose), and chat them up until dinner time. The dinner where we're then taking four kids to the country club. My mom asked if I'd bought them coordinating outfits, so we'd look like we fit in. Right now Isaac is wearing a red and white striped shirt and red and blue underpants, so he's got the matching thing down.

I'm thinking of dosing someone with ipecac so I could get out of going. But that would be mean, wouldn't it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought of bewitched having the one story line, but it really did. Have fun at dinner!

Courtney said...

superpowers would be helpful in this situation! good luck.

Blue said...

please favor us with a follow up on the evening's outcome! i'm always looking for entertaining stories. ♥

Company EIGHT said...

that was one of my favorites too..

I can't wait to hear how your evening out with the kids went!!!