Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Book #34: Losing Mum and Pup

Title: Losing Mum and Pup
Author: Christopher Buckley

In Losing Mum and Pup Christopher Buckley writes about the year when both of his parents died: first his mother Patricia to complications from surgery, then his father, conservative icon William F. Buckley, after a long illness. As an only child in a famous family, Buckley did his grieving in a more public sphere, and with more famous friends than most of his readers will experience. At times the book felt like a "how the other half die" sort of book, with descriptions of friends and parties and getting sympathy calls from the President of the United States.

On the other hand, even though Buckley did his grieving around famous people and with lots of style, his story showed that no matter how famous or wealthy or connected your parents are, it's hard to lose them, and healing to hold on to funny and poignant experiences you had together (even if they didn't seem especially funny at the time).

1 comment:

Blue said...

May I frankly admit that one of the things I'm very excited about is that The Shelah Library is moving in next week?! I can't wait to browse your shelves. For instance, right now I'm waiting for about 8 of the books you've reviewed to become available at the library. I get most of my recommendations off your blog. I enjoy almost everything you review. So yes, I'm excited to see you, but I'm also excited to see your books. Bring Tuesday On! ♥