Friday, January 23, 2009

Turning into the mom I swore I'd never be.

A couple of years ago, my mom, my godmother and I took Annie to the American Girl store in Chicago to have lunch. At a table not far from us sat a mom and her little girl (and the girl's dolls, compulsory accessories at the American Girl store). The little girl ate and talked to her dolls. The mom was glued to her Blackberry, reading and typing away throughout the meal. Maybe I was imagining things, but the girl and her dolls seemed kind of, well, lonely.

My phone broke a few days ago, and on my birthday this Tuesday, a shiny new Blackberry showed up on the doorstep (thanks, hon!). This morning on the way home from visiting teaching, Isaac wanted to go to Chick fil-A. Several minutes later we found ourselves ensconced in a booth, Isaac eating chicken, Maren eating chicken (no, not just drinking chocolate milk!), and me trying to balance eating a salad with one hand and managing my Blackberry with the other. In my defense, the internet is pretty interesting.

10 comments:

Kermit~the~Frog said...

I have the same problem with my iPhone. Thankfully I do not run a state.

Nicole said...

YEah I've been there!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I protested loudly when BC bought me one, and now I couldn't live without it.

My Diary said...

Another reason not to get a blackberry. Thanks.

Courtney said...

I guess it's good I don't have a cell phone much less a blackberry (although I'm secretly very envious).

smart mama said...

This is why i fear upgrading my capabilities-

Company EIGHT said...

ditto smartmama--it's bad enough at home with the computer!

bluestocking mama said...

ha ha, i've had a few of those "swore-I'd-never-be" moments too

Lei said...

I can't get that attached to mine for some reason (cell, not a blackberry though). And don't use even half the features on it (tsk, tsk). People hate me for it - first of all my hubby who bought it (lol), and since I never pick up and then think to check for messages every few days at most, my friends who are desperately trying to get a hold of me (hello land line! lol!). Hats off to your tech saavyness though! Woot!

Carrie Snider said...

Lol! Funny pic. It's ok to zone out once in a while.. :)