Tuesday, November 4, 2008

An apology:

Dear Mom,

Remember how we sat at the computer last week and you ordered presents for Maren's second birthday? We decided that since she doesn't really need a darn thing, we'd throw caution to the wind and fill her with Dora-related paraphernalia to her heart's content. Do you remember calling me to tell me that you had confirmation from Amazon that the Big Sister Talking Nursery addition to the Dora Talking House was on its way? I do. (For the record, I'm glad you got while the getting's good, because it's now being sold for four times the price you paid).

It arrived yesterday, right in the middle of the witching hour. I was making dinner, pushing laundry and trying to keep the kids out of the Halloween candy when the UPS man arrived. Isaac pounced on the box and started tearing the tape off. I yelled, "STOP! That's a birthday present for Maren! Don't open it." Then I returned to boiling spaghetti and making caesar salad.

A couple of minutes later, I heard a high pitched squeal. I thought someone was hurt, but before I even had the chance to set down the glasses in my hand and investigate, I heard "Da-wuh! Soopuh-Babies! Soopuh-Babies!"
I guess that Isaac's birthday party a few weeks ago taught Maren a thing or two about unwrapping boxes. She also must have learned about the benefits of eavesdropping somewhere along the way. Because she stood before me, long strip of tape in one hand, trying to extricate the nursery box from the Amazon box with the other. I tried taking it away. She screamed. I figured that she'd forget about it. She insisted on having it on the dinner table along side her. She even wanted to bring the box (almost as big as she is) into the bathtub with her. I started to realize that she was not going to forget. So I opened it. She hasn't set down the Soopuh-Babies since. She bathed with them. She slept with them. They've now got remnants of Lucky Charms stuck to their little plastic bodies.

The good news is, she loves her birthday present. The bad news is that it's still almost two months until her birthday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww!! how cute!! At least you know she likes it LOL

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

ROFL. They always come at the worst time! I did most of my Christmas shopping online last year on account of my huge belly and free 2 day shipping w/Amazon prime. I developed quite a routine of running for the door and then launching the boxes off in the bushes so I could pretend like nothing was there. Then, BC would have to go retrieve the boxes every night before bed.

Becky said...

That is so adorable! Her hair is getting long! And I love the Soopuh-Babies.

Courtney said...

What a cute girl. My mom wanted me to pick out a birthday present for Chase while she was here and I couldn't think of anything. Poor fifth child.

lyn said...

oh - too funny. She has a one track mind, doesn't she?

Terry Mastny said...

At least I know she liked her gift. I'll look on the bright side and consider that if she had waited until December she may have been over her 'Dora fixation'. This way she can enjoy her new little friends without the distraction of all her other gifts!