Monday, October 6, 2008

What our book club is reading 2008-2009

November:

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak


Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

December:

Here if You Need Me by Kate Braestrup

January:

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

February:

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

March:

Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanear

April:

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Attwood

May:

Sold by Patricia McCormick


The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

June:

Why Gender Matters by Leonard Sax

July:

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

August:

Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner


Patriot Hearts by Barbara Hambly

September: Selection Night!!

And in no particular order, here's the list of other books that were recommended:
Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte
The Poisonwood Bible- Barbara Kingsolver
And Ladies of the Club- Santmyer
The Chosen- Chaim Potok
The Giver- Lois Lowry
Last Child in the Woods- Richard Lowe
Fatland- Greg Crister
Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
A Very Long Engagement by Sebastien Jaspirot and Linda Coverdale
The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Laura Schlessinger
Selected Stories of O Henry by O Henry
Christlike Parenting by Glenn Latham
Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
The Seven Daughters of Eve by Brian Sykes
The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
There is No Me Without You by Melissa Fay Greene
The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
Doubt by John Patrick Shanley
Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Luis Zafron
These is My Words by Nancy Turner
The House at Riverton by Kate Morton
Peony in Love by Lisa See
The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama
My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier
Wild Swans by Jung Chang
Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodridguez
The Blessing of a Skinned Knee by Deborah Mogel
Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil by Jean Sasson
Winter Wheat by Mildred Walker
Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys
The Ladies Auxiliary by Tova Mirvis
The Known World by Edward P. Jones
The Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation by Joseph J. Ellis
The Unknown Lincoln by Dale Carnegie
The First Ladies by Margaret Brown Klapthor
Three Against Hitler by Rudi Wobbe and Jerry Borrowman
The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass
The Space Between Us: A Novel by Thrify Umrigar
The Wind Done Gone by Alice Randall
Sea Glass by Anita Shreve
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
Balzac and the Litte Chinese Seamstress by Daj Sijie
The Kitchen Boy by Robert Alexander
Nickel and Dimed: On (not) Getting by in America by Barbara Ehrenreich
In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan
The Sum of Our Days by Isabel Allende
My Invented Country by Isabel Allende
Like Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
O Jerusalem by Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre
Indian Summer by Alex von Tunzelmann

14 comments:

Blue said...

So, the question I'm dying to ask: you gonna run a book club like this when you move here?!

I was invited to join a very lovely group of women in their LONG ESTABLISHED book club (they've met monthly for 20+ years and have a list of every book read so far). I've been able to attend a few times, but they limit their selection to the Fantasy/SciFi/and Horror (!?) genre. Most months I have felt somewhat blah about the book selected, but by chance I also seem to end up flying a lot when they happen to meet, so it's a moot point. But I love the group...fun women.

The main thing is that I'm also evaluating my time use these days, and though I've done really well eliminating tv from my life, internet (guilty party=blogs) and books are still areas I could reign in and make better use of.

I like the wide variety of books you've chosen, how some are entertainment and others more instructive. And I love your reviews!

Mister Waldrip said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tamlynn said...

So I guess the meeting went well?

I wish I was in your book group too. I've only read one of those books, although I've read several of the authors.

Good thing today is my library day. Now I have a list of books to find!

Gabriela said...

Sorry, that deleted comment was me. I was signed in as my husband. Didn't want to freak you out!

Thanks for your list! Can't wait for the reviews.

East of Eden is my all time favorite book. I think I've read it 4 times. Love it.

Courtney said...

I can't wait for your reviews. I've read 4 of the books and really liked three of them.

The Handmaiden was my good friend's favorite book but I found it very upsetting. My friend that recommended it is anti-meat, anti-kids, anti-marriage, was born to Korean immigrant parents and not LDS so we obviously see things from a very different perspective. I read it during my struggle with infertility so I wonder if I would view it differently now. I'll be interested to read your thoughts.

Alissa said...

i'm seriously so excited to read some of these... and maybe even start my own book club. any suggestions?

Queen of the Castle said...

I wish I could afford to fly to Texas once a month, just for book club. Things were pretty good for the last year. I've been to the unofficial RS book club here a couple of times here and I'm not incredibly impressed. I'm thinking I'm going to have to find a different book club, or make an attempt to make this one a little more spicy. Thanks for the book list, I think that I've got a good list of books for the few months.

bluestocking mama said...

wow, what a list! so how many of those that you're reading have you already read? which are you the most excited for?

JD said...

oh i love books! i will be back to get your reviews :)

Tyler said...

Hey, Shelah, it's me, the nerd who used to bring 25 books to every selection night in MN. I do miss that! (I'm sure the book club does not.) Those selection nights used to feel like a holiday to me, too!

Found your blog & was very happy to see your plans to relocate to UT. Would love to catch up & see the whole family when you arrive.

(Also, I can't help but throw five stars to Angle of Repose, an all-time favorite of mine, even though my loud opinions about books are usually best kept to myself!)

--Kellie

Shelah said...

Blue- If there's a great, already established book club that will have me, I can put down the inner control freak and join an established group. If not, bring it on, baby! And books? Those are a great use of your time, right?

Alissa-- I'd just pick a few girls who you have similar reading taste to yours and jump in. It really took about 18 months to get our current group strong, so don't expect it to happen overnight.

Arlynda-- We were all lamenting how much we missed you at our meeting. Spicy is always a good thing!

Bluestocking-- I've read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Here if You Need Me, East of Eden, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, The Goose Girl, Eat, Pray, Love, and Angle of Repose. So exactly half of the reading list. I'm excited for the "spicy" discussion of The Handmaid's Tale and for The Book Thief, which I've been meaning to read anyway.

Kellie-- see, you were such an inspiration to me! I can wait to have us hook up when we're both Utah girls! I'm with you on Angle of Repose, too. But I think you already knew that. :)

islandgirl said...

i just followed the link from the Segullah blog to here, love the list! So, remind me, this book group is not church sanctioned, right? I can't see Handmaids Tale going over very well with the bishop, lol! I'm just taking over organizing our own book club group and trying to decide what direction to take it. Our bishop hasn't said anything yet, but I don't want it to get to that point, even though some of my favorite books I know we couldn't read in a church group!

Shelah said...

Island Girl-- No it's not an official ward book club. We decided not to go that route because we wanted to feel comfortable reading whatever we chose. It's worked out well for us.

Anonymous said...

Whooooaaa...what a list! Thanks for posting this, because there are some I'd definitely like to try.