Friday, September 5, 2008

Throwing in the diaper...

About eight months ago, Maren got a diaper rash from hades. I couldn't get it to go away and six months ago turned to cloth diapers as what I thought would be a very temporary last resort. Surprisingly, they weren't so bad. I got used to scraping poop into the toilet and tossing in an extra load of laundry before bed. I realized that I loved the smell of the lavender I was using in the drying cycle, and also liked the feeling that I was doing my part for the planet.

The honeymoon lasted about four months. Then we went on vacation and used disposables the whole time. Around the same time, Maren started going through a naked phase, and the velcro tabs on the diapers were irresistibly easy to open. But I persisted. I liked the idea of cloth diapers too much to give up on them.

Maren, however, had other ideas. Over the last two weeks, every time I put a cloth diaper on Maren, it's either fallen off immediately (the velcro isn't holding so well any more) or she'd come to me within five minutes, holding a disposable and saying "new diaper, Mama." I've found too many wet spots on the carpet to count. So I'm listening to the kid and going back to disposables.

The good news is that she's also started informing me that she needs to poop before she actually goes. She has yet to go in the potty yet, but I have high hopes that I might be able to say "bye bye" to diapers for the first time in more than 8 years. Probably not, but a girl can dream, can't she?

7 comments:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I'm secretly glad you gave up on the cloth because it eliminates yet another one of my temptations to try it. Good luck on being diaper free. We were for a brief period in late 2005/early 2006. I'm guessing it'll be 2011 before I'm all free and clear.

Becky said...

You really have no idea how much "poop" you're gonna deal with as a mom. (all worth it, I know, I know! but still!) How did Maren's rash clear up? Sophie had one this summer that turned out to be a yeast infection! I had to put athlete's foot cream on it. Yikes. May your potty training days go smoother than mine, Shelah!

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

Sorry it didn't work for you, but at least you tried. I hope that PT is just around the corner for you.

lyn said...

I'm honestly kind of sad you're done with cd'ing. But there was a silver lining to the cloud!!

Gabriela said...

Well, you gave it a good go. The environment thanks you for your efforts.

May Maren potty train soon. I am, what feels like, eons away from that stage!

Lei said...

oh i will dream with you, honey! we're going through the same thing!

bluestocking mama said...

i'm trying to block out the days of diapers. we've been diaper-free for over a year now. i think we'll be in for a rude awakening at some point :) but go, maren!