Friday, July 18, 2008

summer running, had me a blast...

Want to know the worst thing about running a fall marathon?

Training in the summer.

It's not that here in Texas I have to finish my outdoor runs before sunrise so I don't melt, or even that I can't toss the kids in the jogger when I want to go for a run (since there are two too many in the summer). The main problem is related to my last post-- I'm just gone too dang much to train for anything well. When we were on our extended trip up north, it wasn't hard to get the runs in because it was beautifully cool in Minnesota, but any kind of speedwork or cross-training was practically impossible. Next week we leave for Utah, and how the heck am I going to get in great speedwork when we're staying up in a canyon. I was supposed to do 20 miles next Saturday (the dang FIRST program and its 5 20-milers) so I did it this morning. 12 miles outside between 5 and 6:30, followed by 8 more miles on the treadmill from 7 until 8. Not exactly consecutive running, but close enough, right? Now I just have to figure out how to fit in 18 miles next Saturday when we're in Utah (because 18 is so much easier than 20, right?).

Vacation-- good for the soul, but not good for training.

4 comments:

QueenMeadow said...

The local running club has the Provo River trail marked out for speedwork. They may have other trails marked out as well, since they do a lot of speedwork in Provo.

http://www.srcutah.com/

Shelah said...

thanks! That's great to know!

E said...

Training in the summer in any southern state is difficult (I'm in AZ). Good for you for getting that 20 miles in.

Terry Mastny said...

Travel in the summer is not great for anyone who wants to initiate or maintain a relatively consistent workout routine. Even your good ole' mom found she gained 5 pounds after two weeks in Texas and a drive up north that included every fast food restaurant known to man. I just couldn't seem to resist those cookies I made with the kids or the Schwan's ice cream treats or Ben and Jerry's hot fudge. I managed to carve out time most days to work out (thank goodness) --- it just wasn't quite long enough to compensate for those s'mores and banana cake. Did I mention that chcolate cherry lava cake from Ruggles....Mm-m-m-m-m....