Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Book #30: Climbing the Mango Trees


Title: Climbing the Mango Trees: A Memoir of a Childhood in India
Author: Madhur Jaffrey

Actress and Indian cooking doyenne Madhur Jaffrey writes about her childhood in Delhi, as viewed through the lens of food.

Since finishing my MA, I've decided that if I ever went back to school, two of the things I'd love to study are Indian-American writings and books about food. Climbing the Mango Trees combines both of these interests, so it should come as no surprise that I was totally entranced by this memoir. I've read several of Jaffrey's cookbooks, and even cooked dinner from them a few times, and as I was reading the memoir, I felt like I could taste the food she described. Her stories made me wonder which foods I'd include in a memoir of my own childhood. I'd definitely have strawberry shortcakes, s'mores, weenie roasts and lobster boils on the beach, Christmas cookies, cheese souffles, banana omlets, and grilled cheese sandwiches from my friend Lucy's sandwich maker. Mmmm. I think I gained about five pounds just reading Climbing the Mango Trees and imagining all of the foods Jaffrey writes about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shelah. I am a huge fan of Indian food too, especially since I learned of the healthful benefits of many of the spices and Indian veg.s for lowering cholesterol. I have actually brought down my DH's cholesterol by 20 points with this alone. Now if he would just exercise consistently! He does work hard around the house in the summer though.
I have Jaffrey's cookbooks but did not know about her memoir. Thanks.
Have you read anything by Lahiri and have you looked at Divakaruni's "Arranged Marriage"? The later is a compilation of short stories, a quick read, far more accesible than Lahiri's "Interpreter" but worth the pondering when time allows.
Rhapsodies about Chinese food: another time, another post.
Have a good run day!

Shelah said...

I've read a couple of Lahiri's books (Namesake and Interpreter) and I think I have her latest one on reserve right now. I just tried my hand at Divakaruni's newest book, which is a fleshing-out of a mythical Hindi story, and I put it down after a chapter. I'm sure it's good, it's just not for me right now. And yum-- Indian food!

Anonymous said...

Shelah, if you ever get the time, link to good synosis of the epics "Ramayana" and "mahabarrata". (Hope I spelled those correctly). There are some good websites. They will help with Divakaruni's new one. I too put it down after a bit. I need a refresher on the history (some of my graduate course work)

Blue said...

if you haven't yet, you should check out The Hindi Bindi Club. It's chock full-o indian food recipes and a fun story about indians in america and india. i love india stuff too.