Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Have you ever had a crack in your windshield?

When I was student teaching, I had to drive from my apartment in Provo to Skyline High School in Salt Lake City every morning. It was usually dark, and there was lots of road construction. I tried to avoid driving behind those huge heavy trucks hauling gravel, but one morning one of them sent out a rock that hit my windshield. It got a tiny ding, and I thought I was pretty lucky considering the earsplitting thud it made. When I left school that afternoon, I was shocked to find that the tiny little ding had spread like a spider web all across my entire windshield.

Today, I was surprised to find out that the same phenonmenon that makes tiny windshield cracks blossom into a big mess of glass also applies to broken bones. Maybe not all broken bones, but to my kid's broken bone. What was such a teeny tiny fracture that it barely registered on the x-ray last Friday is now a serious enough break that Isaac is back in the hospital and the surgeons are considering putting in plates and screws to stabilize it. He's having an MRI done tomorrow to rule out the possibility that he might still have some infection in the bone, and then they'll decide what they're going to do with him.

So, while we're not exactly back to square one with Isaac, the "it's just a broken leg" rejoicing has definitely been tempered. Ugh. Happy holidays and all that.

9 comments:

Becky said...

UGH! you and him arent catching any breaks are you.
HUGS

sheri said...

OH NO! You're all in my thoughts and prayers. I'm anxious to hear what happens.

Anonymous said...

Oh Shelah - I'm so sorry. What a rough few months you've had.

Anonymous said...

Been reading your blog since linking to it from babycenter last year. You are in my prayers!!

Gabriela said...

shoot. Hang in there.

chloe said...

When it rains...good luck!

Lucy said...

You guys have not had the easiest last few months. Poor Isaac.

I hope he's comfortable and on the mend soon.

QueenMeadow said...

I'm sorry :(, that is so sad.

Anonymous said...

Bless his heart! I hope that it turns out to be just a break and not more. I feel so awful for you guys :(