Monday, February 16, 2015

Book Review: Spirit of the Knight by Debbie Peterson

Title: Spirit of the Knight
Author: Debbie Peterson
Enjoyment Rating: ***
Source: Digital Copy
Content Alert: A clean read

I will admit my prejudice here and say that I fully expected to HATE Spirit of the Knight. The cover screamed "cheesy" and when I read the blurb that said that the story was about an artist who came to a Scottish castle and fell in love with a thousand-year-old ghost who haunted the place, I didn't hold out much hope. And when that knight, Cailen, started speaking with a Scottish brogue, I groaned and wanted to quit reading.

Despite all of these things, I persevered, and was surprised to find myself caught up in the story. I'm not as certain that I was captivated by the romance between Cailen and Mariah (the 21st-century artist) as I was to work out the mystery of the silent female ghosts who inhabited the castle (ghosts who Cailen never saw but Mariah saw regularly). This story was fascinating, and kept me hooked far longer than I expected I would be.

No comments: