Friday, February 13, 2015

Book Review: I'm With You by Taylor Dean

Title: I'm With You
Author: Taylor Dean
Enjoyment Rating: ***
Source: Digital Copy
Content Alert: A clean romance, but deals with the death of a child and adultery

Chloe seems to have a perfect life with her husband, her interior design business, and her first baby on the way. But when the baby is stillborn, everything in her life falls apart. All she wants to do is sit in the baby's room all day and cry, and her husband gradually disconnects, until one day he comes home to tell her that he's going on a six-week trip to the Caribbean with another man's wife.

When the jilted husband shows up on Chloe's doorstep. they commiserate over their fates. He's a lawyer, and he helps her start divorce proceedings. And gradually, their shared experience becomes a friendship, which turns to love, and Chloe finds herself living again for the first time since the death of her son.

I know that lots of people love I'm With You, but I'm not one of them. I felt that Dean was pretty heavy-handed with her depiction of the Bathseba who drew Chloe's husband away. Chloe is very clearly damaged and not handling the death of her child well, and I think it's a little facile to think that a romance will solve those deeper issues. All in all, this is a fine book, but not one of my favorites.

No comments: