Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Book Review: The Glass Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg

Title: The Glass Magician
Author: Charlie N. Holmberg
Enjoyment Rating: ***
Source: Digital Copy
Content Alert: Some violence

The sequel to The Paper Magician opens three months after the previous book, which had apprentice Ceony Twill walking through the heart of her master teacher Magician Emery Thane. In The Glass Magician, rival magician believes that Ceony has special powers, and he's determined to reveal those powers if he can't take them for himself. Ceony and Emery, and Ceony's bff Delilah face a series of challenges from the baddies, as Ceony comes to a greater understanding of her powers and her ability to love.

I did a little bit of reading about The Paper Magician, because I feel like it took me most of The Glass Magician to understand the world that Ceony inhabits. Some readers felt that Ceony wasn't a rounded character in the first novel, and I didn't get that sense in this book. I have just a few quibbles with the storyline of The Glass Magician. First of all, it felt like a series of small skirmishes instead of leading up to a big climax, and that may be because of my second quibble-- Ceony wasn't there for the pivotal action scene that sets up the third novel. As for the romance, I think my expectations were met. I think this book does a nice job with what second books in a trilogy are supposed to do-- it rounded out the characters and kept the reader's interest enough to make them want to read the third book.

No comments: