Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Book Review: Sky Jumpers by Peggy Eddleman (Whitney Finalist 2013)

Title: Sky Jumpers (Sky Jumpers #1)
Author: Peggy Eddleman
Enjoyment Rating: ****
Source: Library Copy
This book would be rated: PG

World War III has come and gone, and the world is forever changed. The chemical warfare used has changed the properties of metal, and the residents of the town of White Rock have to be careful to avoid the pockets of Bomb's Breath that kill anyone who breathes air infused with it. Twelve-year-old Hope is a failure at inventing things (a skill prized among the residents of White Rock), but she can do something no one else even dares try-- she can use the extra density bomb's breath to break her falls as she jumps from the sky. This skill comes to the aid of the entire town when they are ambushed by bandits, and Hope and two friends travel to a nearby town to get help.

This books is a nice balance between internal and external conflict. Hope's character is well-developed, but there's also plenty of action. I felt like I wanted a more complicated narrative, but I later learned that the book is the first of a series. It doesn't necessarily feel like the first book of a series, and the conclusion is satisfying in and of itself. Eddleman read from her book at my kids' school a few weeks ago, and both of my elementary-age kids couldn't wait to get their hands on this one. My son kept asking me how I liked it. It's one I think he would like too, even though the protagonist is a girl.

No comments: