Saturday, March 15, 2014

Book Review: Dark Memories by Jeffrey S. Savage (Whitney Finalist 2013)

Title: Dark Memories
Author: Jeffrey S. Savage
Enjoyment Rating: ***
Source: Digital Copy
This book would be rated: PG-13 for violence and creepiness

In 1977, six kids went missing in a Colorado mine during a school picnic. Nearly a week later, five kids were rescued. Nearly forty years later, those kids, now grown up, are killed, one by one. Police Chief Cal Hunt tries to solve the mystery of their deaths, while coming to terms with the powers that the mine still seems to hold.

I opened Dark Memories on my Kindle before checking which Whitney category it was nominated in. I guessed that it was nominated in Mystery/Suspense, because I've read works by Savage in that category before, but it was quickly apparent that this was no normal mystery. Dead children appear, the walls of a mine seem to weep and moan, and people have the strangest kinds of dreams. The book reminded me a lot of a Stephen King novel, and I was both surprised and a little delighted to see Covenant Communications publishing a horror novel. The book was entertaining and delightfully creepy.

No comments: