Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Book Review: The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

Title: The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
Author: Charles Duhigg
Enjoyment Rating: ****
Source: Audible
This book would be rated: PG

Every morning at 4:50 the alarm goes off and I check my email and Instagram, then head to the closet to get dressed for my run. Every afternoon around 2pm, I have a hankering for a Diet Coke. I fall asleep most nights with a book in my hand. These are habits that I've developed over the years, and in The Power of Habit Charles Duhigg writes about how we create habits, how we change them, and how habits work to help or hinder us in our personal lives and at work.

If you're interested in a how-to book about changing your habits, this might not be the book for you, although I would recommend reading the epilogue first (where he lays out some concrete ideas for changing habits) and then the rest of the book with that epilogue in mind. However, if you want to know why you do what you do, or why the people in your lives keep making the same crazy choices, or if you want some insight into why your body wants a Diet Coke at 2pm every afternoon, this is a fascinating read. Lots of examples and stories, and good analysis by the author. It's also engaging and readable. 

No comments: