Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Book Review: Ajax Penumbra 1969 by Robin Sloan

Title: Ajax Penumbra 1969
Author: Robin Sloan
Enjoyment Rating: ****
Source: Audible
This book would be rated: PG

I fell in love with Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore when I read it earlier this year, and I was delighted to discover that Robin Sloan had written a prequel to the book, Ajax Penumbra 1969. I'm not sure if this book would be a long short story or a novella, but whatever it is, it's thoroughly enjoyable reading for anyone who loved the original book, or for people who want to start reading with this book. As expected by the title, the story takes place in 1969. Ajax Penumbra is working as a research librarian at a small Midwestern college, when he's sent on a quest to find a missing book. He ends up in San Francisco, and discovers the 24-Hour bookstore, already the site to many mysteries. I found the story, which takes people around and through and underneath San Francisco at a pivotal point in history, utterly fascinating. I was just sad that it was over so quickly!

No comments: