Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Book Review: Inferno by Dan Brown

Title: Inferno
Author: Dan Brown
Enjoyment Rating: **
Source: Kindle for iPad
This book would be rated: PG-13 for violence and adult situations

If you like Dan Brown novels, you'll like Inferno. If you're like me, you'll feel compelled to read Inferno because it's basically expected of you, as a voracious reader, to read what will undoubtedly become the number one selling novel of the year.

If you've read a Robert Langdon story before, you know the formula. Harvard symbologist Langdon finds himself in a European city (this time Florence, with side trips to Venice and Istanbul) with a pretty woman (this time Dr. Sienna Brooks) and a series of puzzles he needs to solve in order to save the world from certain doom (this time a plague planted by someone who believes that the world's expanding population will bring about the destruction of the planet).

For me, the difficult thing about a Dan Brown book is that I have a hard time knowing how to read it. I know, that sounds dumb, but stay with me. Brown tends to slip into professor mode himself, where he goes on for pages and pages, instructing readers about the plot structure of The Divine Comedy or how gondolas are built or the architecture of Hagia Sophia. And I get bored. So I skim. And sometimes I skim so much that I miss some essential plot element. I'm still unsure that the novel ended the way I think it ended (which would be sort of a shocker), but I'm also too lazy to go back and read the last two chapters to verify. So yes, I can say I've read the book of the summer, but just barely enough to get by. 

No comments: