Saturday, January 19, 2013

Book Review: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

Title: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
Author: Mindy Kaling
Source: Audible for iTunes
This book would be rated: PG-13 for language
Enjoyment Rating: ****

I can always tell how much I'm into an audiobook by whether or not I turn it off when I walk in from my run in the morning. Some books are not great morning companions, but Mindy Kaling's book kept me running, then kept me company right on through laundry and making beds and a hundred other mundane tasks. It was so entertaining that it only took me 1 1/2 runs to finish (it's a short book, but I can usually get a couple of weeks worth of runs out of a single book).

In Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? Kaling gives a brief trajectory of her life, mostly in relation to her work as a comedian. She talks a lot about embarrassing scenes from childhood, being "chubby" (she's a size 8-- FYI, which is so far from chubby anywhere but Hollywood), her time at The Office, shopping, boys (her chapter on boys and men is brilliant), her time in NYC, her yearning for her own husband and family, and her strong relationship with her parents.

I laughed, I didn't cry, and I had an awesome time listening.

No comments: