Friday, October 5, 2012

Book Review: Broken Harbor by Tana French

Title: Broken Harbor
Author: Tana French
Enjoyment Rating: *****
Source: Audible for iTunes
Books I've read this year: 103

A few weeks ago, Ed and I decided to move my boys down to a bedroom in the basement. It was a big job that required multiple IKEA visits, innumerable trips up and down the stairs, and several recharges of our drill. My friend Blue was kind enough to give up all of one day to help me put together beds, which was a lifesaver. But even when she wasn't there, I enjoyed my time in the basement, screwing furniture together, because I had Broken Harbor to keep me company. I believe that Broken Harbor is French's fourth novel, and I keep waiting for her to write one that doesn't resonate with me. It hasn't happened so far.

In Broken Harbor, Scorcher Kennedy is a detective who has always followed the rules. His past has taught him that messing up, stepping into the gray area, just isn't an option for him. When he and his new partner are called to a murder case in Brian's Town, an hour from Dublin, Kennedy immediately remembers the place as Broken Harbor, where he summered with his family as a child. Now it's a rundown housing development, a casualty of the downtrodden economy. And it's just about the grayest place in all of Ireland.

Kennedy finds a husband and two children dead, and a wife at death's door. And he's forced to confront his own demons as he tries to unravel what really happened in this house where life, to all outside observers, appeared to be picture perfect.

4 comments:

The Cotton Floozy said...

I LOVE Tana French. And naturally, loved Broken Harbor. Have you read J.K. Rowling's new book for Grown-Ups? Casual Vacancy? I finished it today and thought it nicely complemented Broken Harbor in themes and style. Brilliant brilliant.

Shelah said...

It's my next Kindle book. Can't wait to get to it. I'm trying to keep an open mind despite hearing decidedly mixed things about it.

The Cotton Floozy said...

I really loved Casual Vacancy and I bet that you can handle the relentless grittiness of it all if you like Tana French and Gillian Flynn (sp? too lazy). I feel like its J.K. Rowling's big Eff You! to all of her potter fans who still condone bigotry and classism in any form.

Air Medical Transport said...

Tana French is one of my all time favorite authors! I have this one waiting for me on my nook:)