Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Why

* Because he needs a family and a home.
* Because sometimes life takes you by surprise.
* Because Bryce and Isaac were feeling outnumbered.
* Because we're already that conspicuous family-- both big and multicultural. One more won't change that.
* Because we left a "normal" size family behind two kids ago.
* Because there's one empty seat in our minivan.
* Because I am a sucker for paperwork.
* Because we already need two hotel rooms when we go on vacation.
* Because ten fingers and ten toes are totally overrated.
* Because we didn't know when we adopted Rose that abandoned little boys wait much longer for families than little girls do.
* Because we have an empty bedroom.
* Because our transition with Rose has been so much easier than we expected.
* Because we're a little bit sadomasochistic. 
* Because I have a thing for even numbers.
* Because it's not much fun to be the caboose.
* Because no one else understands what it's like to be Chinese and adopted like someone else who is Chinese and adopted.
* Because I've loved the name Elias since it was in our top three baby boy names, way back in 1999 (the other two? Bryce and Isaac, of course).
* Because I have this great idea for a Brady Bunch Christmas card for 2013.
* Because we already have a wonderful orthopedic surgeon, thanks to Isaac, and an excellent physical therapist, thanks to Rose.
* Because we embrace chaos around here.
* Because Eli is living, not just in the same country, but in the very same province, in the very same city, in the very same orphanage, in the very same room where Rose spent her first eleven months.
* Because we know where to find both McDonalds and Starbucks in Nanjing and Guangzhou.
* Because we didn't learn how to wait patiently last time around-- we need a refresher.
* Because our baby photo shrine in the kitchen was feeling lonely.
* Because we need Eli at least as much as he needs us.

Our one year anniversary of our match with Rose feels like the perfect time to announce what some of you already know-- sometime this spring, we'll be headed back to Xuzhou, China to bring home Elias Leman. Eli will turn one in October, which means that he and Rose will be virtual twins! As a mama who always sighed with relief when just one baby showed up on an ultrasound, this is a pretty big leap of faith for me and the rest of the family.

9 comments:

Emily M. said...

Wow! Congratulations! Looking forward to the Christmas card...

Becky said...

I'm so insanely excited for you! I've so enjoyed watching your blog for updates on Rose ever since you announced you were going to adopt her. You are amazing, Shelah!

Anonymous said...

Shelah, This made me cry. Your heart is so big and your love so great. Little Eli and I share a birthday, but I will be so happy to love him too as I love B,A,I,M and R. Love, Gr(Annie)

Katie said...

Oh wow. You are amazing. I know that you are not doing this so people will tell you that you are amazing, but this little boy is sure blessed to have you.

Ang said...

Wow Shelah! What wonderful news. You and your family are the best.

Blue said...

Nicole said...

So excited for you guys and for Rose. She will have such a connection with her new brother!!!!!
congrats!
Nicole

Alice said...

My baby is named Eli, so I love the name.

Unknown said...

I never know how to comment on your beautiful posts...do I admit that I'm crying? Phrases like, "I am so excited for you!" seem so lame. It is weird how much I love Rose and have never met her. Mostly, I just want to talk to you! I want to know everything you know about adoption. I want to know, do I really have to wait until Doug is making money to adopt? Do you think there are ways to do it in residency? Elias has been #1 on my list for each boy. Doug cannot get over the weird rhetoric of "Elias Lewis." I'll keep trying!

ps. Do you have the childrens book, "Crazy Cakes"? Tell me if you don't and I am sending you an early Christmas present!!

He is soo darling!! Good luck on this exciting journey #2!