Wednesday, September 26, 2012
* Because sometimes life takes you by surprise.
* Because Bryce and Isaac were feeling outnumbered.
* Because we're already that conspicuous family-- both big and multicultural. One more won't change that.
* Because we left a "normal" size family behind two kids ago.
* Because there's one empty seat in our minivan.
* Because I am a sucker for paperwork.
* Because we already need two hotel rooms when we go on vacation.
* Because ten fingers and ten toes are totally overrated.
* Because we didn't know when we adopted Rose that abandoned little boys wait much longer for families than little girls do.
* Because we have an empty bedroom.
* Because our transition with Rose has been so much easier than we expected.
* Because we're a little bit sadomasochistic.
* Because I have a thing for even numbers.
* Because it's not much fun to be the caboose.
* Because no one else understands what it's like to be Chinese and adopted like someone else who is Chinese and adopted.
* Because I've loved the name Elias since it was in our top three baby boy names, way back in 1999 (the other two? Bryce and Isaac, of course).
* Because I have this great idea for a Brady Bunch Christmas card for 2013.
* Because we already have a wonderful orthopedic surgeon, thanks to Isaac, and an excellent physical therapist, thanks to Rose.
* Because we embrace chaos around here.
* Because Eli is living, not just in the same country, but in the very same province, in the very same city, in the very same orphanage, in the very same room where Rose spent her first eleven months.
* Because we know where to find both McDonalds and Starbucks in Nanjing and Guangzhou.
* Because we didn't learn how to wait patiently last time around-- we need a refresher.
* Because our baby photo shrine in the kitchen was feeling lonely.
* Because we need Eli at least as much as he needs us.
Our one year anniversary of our match with Rose feels like the perfect time to announce what some of you already know-- sometime this spring, we'll be headed back to Xuzhou, China to bring home Elias Leman. Eli will turn one in October, which means that he and Rose will be virtual twins! As a mama who always sighed with relief when just one baby showed up on an ultrasound, this is a pretty big leap of faith for me and the rest of the family.