Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Book Review: Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

Title: Shadow of Night
Author: Deborah Harkness
Enjoyment Rating: ***
Source: Audible for iTunes
Books I've read this year: 97

Well heck, I'm not sure what to say about this book. If you liked The Discovery of Witches, Deborah Harkness's first novel about a modern-day witch who falls in love with a thousand-year-old vampire doctor, you'll probably like Shadow of Night. If you hated the fact that DOW was a cliffhanger and thought it had way, way, way too many details, then don't bother reading this one. I loved Discovery of Witches, in much the same way that I love reading People magazine. It was engrossing and easy to digest, if I don't spend too much time thinking about it. Shadow of Night takes place mostly in the 1590s in London, where Diana runs into many of the Renaissance greats, including Elizabeth I, Walter Raleigh, and Shakespeare. Let me put it this way, I will be following the witch, Diana Bishop, and her husband the vampire into the third and final installment. And I will have fun doing so. 

2 comments:

The Cotton Floozy said...

I keep going back and forth whether or not I want to read this after finishing A Discovery of Witches. I don't think it will happen unless Fate steps in when I'm in the library and magically deposits this book in my hands.

Shelah said...

I was really mad when I finished DoW, because I felt like my expectations were unmet. But with this book, I knew what I was getting-- the middle of a trilogy. When I looked at it that way, I was actually pretty pleasantly surprised with it.