Saturday, August 11, 2012

Book Review: Gold by Chris Cleave

Title: Gold
Author: Chris Cleave
Enjoyment Rating: ****
Source: Audible for iTunes
Books I've read this year: 95

When I started listening to Chris Cleave's Gold last week, I had no idea what it was about. I picked it up based on his previous novel, Little Bee, which I remembered liking, and on the fact that Amazon and Audible kept telling me I'd like the book. I have several friends who are trying to write books to capitalize on the "Mormon Moment" but I didn't know until I got into the narrative that Cleave had timed his work's publication to coincide with the London Olympics. The book, which starts in 1989 and whose main narrative ends in the months leading up to the Olympics, tells the story of Kate, Zoe, and Jack, three promising young athletes who become the best short track cyclists in the world.

Cleave does a fantastic job with the alternating narration-- the story is told by the three main characters, as well as by their coach, Tom, and Kate and Jack's daughter, Sophie. While I remember enjoying Little Bee when I read it a few years ago, I also remember that I liked it with reservation. And like Little Bee, there are two strong female characters here, best friends and rivals, one of whom, Kate, is lovely and sweet and unselfish. Zoe, on the other hand, doesn't ever stop competing, on the track or off. For example, when it's evident in the early days of their relationship that Kate and Jack have a thing for each other, Zoe tries to throw herself at Jack, just to mess with Kate's head. There are some reveals in the book that feel a little manipulative (a la Jodi Picoult), but overall, this is a very satisfying read. It makes me think that every athlete up on the podium at the Olympics must be a serious head case, but that just makes the Olympics all that more interesting to watch.

No comments: