Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Book Review: Abundance by Peter H. Diamandis, Steven Kotler

Title: Abundance: The Future is Better Than You Think
Authors: Peter H. Diamandis, Steven Kotler
Enjoyment Rating: ****
Source: Kindle for iPad
Books I've read this year: 78

Reading the newspaper or watching the Today show (especially watching the Today show), you might think that the world is going to hell. In five years there won't be any food left, there won't be clean water, there won't be oil, and it will be 100 degrees in January. But according to the authors of Abundance, life is only going to get better. They give many very convincing arguments for how the world is going to get better as technology improves. Africa will get clean drinking water and power. Cell phones have already given the average African tribesman as much information as the US president had 20 years ago.

The book reads like a TED talk, and I felt like my faith in human nature was restored by the end. Through innovation, technology, and a few well-placed prizes, we'll be able to solve the problems of global warming and renewable energy, and we'll all be driving around in computer-driven cars in 20 years. One thing I really didn't like is that the book is written by two authors, but someone kept referring to himself as "I" (when I was in medical school, when I established the X prize) but they never made it clear which "I" was speaking. That made the book a little bit annoying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like the tone of this book! Sounds like a great read.