Thursday, March 29, 2012

One week home

This week Rose overcame jet lag, went to two marathon doctor appointments (including blood draws and four shots), got her surgery and early intervention appointments scheduled (sort of), gave up her resistance to the car seat, endured Bryce feeding her a bottle (and retaliates by throwing it across the car when she had had enough), learned to wave, started putting weight on her legs, moved from her bed in the girls' room to a pack and play in my closet (much to the relief of everyone), listened to her brothers and sisters fight over who could hold her at least 50 times, blew out her diaper four times, got introduced to the jogging stroller, and went to church for the first time.

So many firsts in one short week! If she didn't seem to be doing so very well, I might be worried, but honestly Rose seems to be breezing through the transition so far. I know we're not out of the woods yet and may have hard time ahead of us, but right now I'm delighting in my happy, social, inquisitive, delightful baby. I'm so grateful that even though she's 11 months, she still feels very much like a baby. I was so sad that I might miss that phase of her life, and while I'm eager to get her up to speed on some of the things she couldn't do in the orphanage, I'm also enjoying this stage.

I'm not enjoying trying to balance the baby phase with the preteen busyness. I've never done this before since Bryce was only six when Maren was born. I never figured out how to do swim team plus piano lesson plus dance plus scouts plus cranky baby all on the same afternoon. Algebra is ten times harder with a baby on your lap. But we'll figure it out. And until then, I'm lucky to live in a neighborhood where burgers, burritos, beef with broccoli and pizza are all just around the corner.

Here's our bouncy baby girl, stuck in the jumparoo until she gets some muscles in her thighs!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Karey said...

Love hearing how you're all adjusting. We're all so much more capable than we sometimes realize.