Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A letter to Rose-- January 3

Dear Rose,

The kids went back to school today, and I spent all day thinking it was Monday, which is why it's taken most of the day to get around to writing this letter to you. I've also been filling out Visa paperwork this afternoon (seriously-- does this paperwork ever end?). With any luck, I'll be off to get my lovely picture taken (again) tomorrow morning, get a money order, then send a whole packet of papers and our passports off to get the visas.

Anyway, visas are boring. But you know what's fun? Baby showers. Baby showers are super fun. I'd almost forgotten how much fun since I haven't had one in ten years.

And since a picture is worth a thousand words, here are some pictures!

Your Aunt Patience made these dolls and sent them from Alaska. They're to give to your friends at the orphanage, but they're so stinking adorable that we had to keep one. We also used them as a party decoration.

The tower of cupcakes. Mimi made chocolate, peppermint, and gingerbread, in honor of you, our gingerbread baby. We'll be coming to catch you as soon as we can!

The dining room (with some decorations repurposed from Maren's birthday party a few days earlier).



Your big sister Annie painted this on the afternoon of the party. She even looked up the Chinese characters for your name!
Mimi numbering the "Hundred Wishes Quilt" in the laundry room
Mommy (notice the Rose sweater I got for Christmas) with the Jie-Jies and Grannie, who came from Nashville to party with us!
Roses for Rose
Did you see that? A Jane Eyre counting book? Just about the cutest dang thing this English-major mama has ever seen!
Grannie had no idea you were born in the year of the rabbit when she ordered this plate for you. Serendipity!

We put down the camera when all the guests came and somehow managed not to get pictures of any of the people who came to share the night with us (Actually, I think we did get some pictures, but they're on the camera that flew back to Nashville). Anyway, I was delighted to see so many friends and family make the trek. I know it's not easy to make time for a baby shower during the Christmas holidays, so it was really special to see people turn up, and even more special to see the quilt after it had everyone's wishes for you written on it. I hope that people will send us their wishes (in the comments of this blog post or by email) so we can fill up the rest of the quilt-- I think it's about halfway full now. I'm very pleased that we now have a bursting-at-the-seams suitcase full of Band-Aids and markers and the four other dolls Aunt Patience and your cousins made and a whole bunch of good stuff to take to your orphanage, as well generous monetary donations to give to your orphanage director.

All in all, a great night. The only thing that would have been better would be having you here to celebrate with us, but I'm beginning to wrap my head around the idea that we've waited a long time, but we're in the home stretch. In less than three months, we should have you home with us!

Love,

Mommy

2 comments:

Cindy Tom said...

Wishing baby Rose a safe journey here and a long, productive, fun-filled life full love, family, friends, health, wealth, and happiness. You are a very lucky little girl to have to have so many people wishing you were here to enjoy your first Christmas. I wish you many happy ones to come.

Sheree said...

I'm so sad I missed this fun party. I was in the throes of moving. Those dolls are the cutest ever! I'm so excited to meet Rose.