Monday, October 10, 2011

Book Review: Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Title: Sarah's Key
Author: Tatiana de Rosnay
Enjoyment Rating: 7/10
Referral: I saw it on enough of my friends' Goodreads lists to decide to tackle it myself.
Source: Kindle for iPad
Books I've read this year: 126
 
I read Sarah's Key in one evening. When I read a book in one sitting, I usually have this feeling that the book was completely enjoyable but didn't challenge me as a reader very much, and I feel the same way about Sarah's Key. And it's not because the story was light, because Sarah's Key starts out as two stories-- an American journalist living in Paris in 2002 with a daughter and a troubled marriage to a Frenchman, and a ten-year-old Jewish girl whose family is split apart when the French police shows up at their door and carts them off to an internment camp. Eventually, these two stories become one. De Rosnay handles the parallel stories skillfully, and I was very caught up in the plight of both women, so I'm not really sure why I feel like I wasn't challenged as a reader. Maybe it's just my own growing prejudice that good books should be hard in some way. Regardless, I enjoyed the book. In fact, I think it would be a great selection for book clubs-- it's an easy, quick, short read, but it also has some meat for discussion.

2 comments:

TJ said...

i read this too, and it was the first i had ever heard of the vel d'hiv. which of course was horrible. anyway, i liked it because of the history.

Eesti said...

A story about France's hidden secret. Poignant and disturbing...I couldn't put this book down until I finished it.Loved this book! I enjoyed both stories and how they intertwined!!! You will not be disappointed!!!!