Sunday, May 22, 2011

Book #62: The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels-- A Love Story

The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels--A Love StoryTitle: The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels-- A Love Story
Author: Ree Drummond

I got this book for Mother's Day and dug right in. There was a time, back in around 2008, when I read Ree Drummond's blog regularly. I even made her Texas Sheet Cake and her Butternut Squash Puree a few times (both a pretty good, I think). A few weeks ago, I read the New Yorker article about her blog and her empire. I've talked to my old college roommate Heather Armstrong (of Dooce fame) about how she and Ree are similar and how they're different. So I knew a fair amount about Ree Drummond and her Marlboro Man before I started reading their love story.

If I were an avid reader of The Pioneer Woman, I can imagine waiting eagerly for the next installment of her love story on the blog. Drummond writes casually and engagingly on the blog, and the book reads just like a bunch of blog posts all jammed together. It was fun to read about Drummond's transformation from city girl to rancher's wife, and since she got married at about the same time I did, I was able to reminisce about my own love story. It was a fun, quick read. Great literature it's not, but as fun escapism it works. It makes me think that with a little enthusiasm, we can all make our own love stories sound fantastic, romantic and dramatic.

No comments: