Sunday, February 6, 2011

Book #5: A Hole in My Life

Hole in My LifeTitle: A Hole in My Life
Author: Jack Gantos

I thought I'd blogged about this book back when I read it (when was that?) but I couldn't find a report of it, so I guess not. Anyway, here goes;

Jack Gantos an American kid, living on a Caribbean island with his family, trying to earn money for college by working construction. When political unrest overtakes the island, Gantos decides, against his better judgment, to help a dealer move a load of drugs up the Atlantic to New York. The trip is rough-- neither man knows how to sail, and by the time they arrive in Manhattan, they're exhausted. And the police are waiting for them. Gantos spends the next few years in federal prison, and by the time he's released, he's reformed his life. Gantos, an acclaimed author of YA fiction, writes honestly about his shortcomings and his struggles in prison. The narrative is quick-paced and entertaining, and I think it would be a good read for anyone who feels that some doors in their life has closed and they're not sure how to open them again.

No comments: