Sunday, October 10, 2010

Book #103: Packing for Mars

Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the VoidTitle: Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void
Author: Mary Roach

If you're like me and your mind naturally gravitates (get it?) to the baser things in life-- poop, pee, food, and sex, then you'll probably love Mary Roach's Packing for Mars. This is the fourth Roach book I've read; she drew me in with Stiff and Bonk, and kept my attention with Spook, and I also loved Packing for Mars. Roach explores zero gravity, space food, and, of course, peeing and pooping and copulating in space and how astronauts deal with those situations. It made me realize that there's a whole lot more that goes into space missions than just shooting some guys up there and hoping they come back alive. Everything, and I do mean everything, undergoes intensive testing before it's sent up on a space mission.

If you've ever wondered about how astronauts live up in space, rest assured that Mary Roach went there and asked. She even wanted to try out a toilet with a built-in backup camera (or the NASA equivalent). If you love space, love Mary Roach, or just love laughing while you learn, read Packing for Mars.

No comments: