Thursday, August 12, 2010

Book #92: The Case of the Missing Servant

The Case of the Missing Servant: A Vish Puri Mystery (Vish Puri Mysteries)Title: The Case of the Missing Servant: A Vish Puri Mystery
Author: Tarquin Hall

If you like Alexander McCall Smith's No 1 Ladies Detective Agency books but are tiring of Botswana or Precious Ramotswe, the tireless "traditionally-built" detective, then follow Tarquin Hall to India, where Vish Puri, also a little on the chubby side, sneaking pakoras on the sly, solves similar sorts of stories, with a colorful cast of characters and a Brit's perspective on a former colony. I like Alexander McCall Smith's books when I'm in the mood for a light read, and I eventually determined that Hall's book was similarly entertaining and not too challenging. I've enjoyed most of the books I've read that are set in an India that is changing and modernizing so quickly, and found Delhi to be the most engaging character in Hall's novel.

No comments: