Friday, March 19, 2010

Book #43: The Route (Whitney Book 23)

Title: The Route
Author: Gale Sears

Continuing on the "judging a book by its cover" theme, if I were in the publishing industry and responsible for The Route, I know exactly the format I would have used: the "Mitch Albom/Richard Paul Evans" small-format hardcover book, which indicates that what is contained within the covers is easy to read, somewhat sappy and inspirational.

If I were a member of the Red Hat Society, or had to decide between living a life of leisure or a life of service, or planning to volunteer with Meals on Wheels, I think that The Route would be a worthwhile read. But it's a book that has a target audience, and I'm not it. While the story is sweet, and Sears imparts messages that are both philosophical and easy to swallow, there are also problems. I wanted more meat in the relationship with Carol and her son, fewer minor characters to keep track of (I think the book would have worked better with a sustained relationship with four or five characters rather than trying to get all of them in there-- it made it hard to keep track of who was who), and better proofreading (the name of one character was spelled three different ways on a single page!).

2 comments:

M. said...

I agree completely.

Anonymous said...

hmm, don't want to borrow that one. I'll stop by tomorrow for the other one-- or come by and look at Annie's photos. I printed up a few for you.