Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Four eyes, four eyes

If you've been reading my Facebook status updates over the last two weeks, you know I've been doing a lot of whining about my eyes. I've worn glasses for almost 30 years-- I got my first pair when I was six, and I remember feeling like the whole world came into focus when I put them on for the first time. I got my first pair of contacts when I was ten, and for the last twenty-five years, I've worn my glasses as little as possible, basically only to the bathroom first thing in the morning to put in my contacts. As a result, I hardly ever spend money on glasses, and my current pair is six years old and badly scratched. We thought about buying me a new pair last summer, but when I went in and picked out frames and priced them, they were going to be about $800. My eye doctor had suggested that I get LASIK, and for just a fraction more than two pairs of glasses (or a couple of years worth of contact lenses) I could be glasses free. So we decided that I'd go under the knife after the first of the year.

Well, tomorrow's the day. I've been wearing my glasses in preparation for the last two weeks, and if nothing else, wearing them has reminded me just how much I hate glasses. They're always smudged and dirty, and are a royal pain in the butt to wear while running. And doing yoga while wearing them is a total joke. Not to mention the fact that they're pretty much broken and none too fashionable anymore. And they make my nose break out. I look lovely these days, I tell you.

So tomorrow I'll get to experience my first surgical procedure in my 35 years (do wisdom teeth count?). I've heard the recovery isn't too bad, but I don't know what "not too bad means." Will I be back to running on Friday? Will I be able to drive the carpool without killing anyone? I don't much know what to expect. Except that life without glasses will be pretty darn sweet.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

good luck!

Anonymous said...

good luck! I sure wish I could get it. But I'm not a candidate do I'm in glasses again. Wore glasses for 12 years, and then contacts for 3 years. I have now developed an allergy to contacts and contact lens solutions so I'm back in glasses....but I'm excited for you.

Shelly said...

Good Luck!!! I'm anxious to hear your experience. I'm in the same boat...Glasses at 5, contacts at 10, sometimes I feel my way into the bathroom rather than putting them on. I'm debating Lasik this summer vs. Mono-Vision when I'm 40 or so.....hope all goes well for you!!