Sunday, January 3, 2010

Book #1: Cleaving

Title: Cleaving: A Story of Marriage, Meat and Obsession
Author: Julie Powell

Remember Julie Powell? Cute, sweet, Julie Powell so adorably portrayed by Amy Adams in the film Julie and Julia? Well, that Julie Powell and the one in Cleaving bear only a couple of resemblances: the hangdog husband Eric, and an annoying tendency to whine. In Bad Mother, Ayelet Waldman talks about how people with bipolar disorder make the best memoirists because they tend to overshare-- to lack the inhibition that makes most people stop talking about the most intimate details of their lives. While Julie Powell only hints at her psychological difficulties (quite possibly the only thing she only hints at), she definitely falls into the category of oversharing. Big time.

When I read on the book's jacket that she was caught between her faithful husband and a lover, I thought the lover must have been a lover in a metaphorical sense. But no, Cleaving is the story of how Powell makes herself miserable over the course of the three or four years after the end of Julie and Julia, carrying on an extended affair with the man she cheated on Eric with back in college, a man who indulges her S&M fantasies (yes, I'm serious). While the personal stories are squirm-worthy and almost too salacious to be believed, she mixes them in with the story of her butchering apprenticeship, which I actually sort of loved. I learned a lot about how meat goes from squealing to sausage, and I think she did a pretty good job of using metaphors between butchering pigs and cows and the butchering she was doing to her marriage.

You've got to admire someone who isn't afraid to come across as pretty despicable, as Julie does in Cleaving. But honestly, I was riveted. I could not stop reading the book. But if it had been my life (which I cannot even fathom), I would have changed the names and the places and called the thing a novel.

4 comments:

Kermit~the~Frog said...

I haven't seen cute, sweet Amy Adams portray Julie Powell yet, but I have read Julie and Julia, and disliked Ms. Powell with a disgust that curled my lip. I can't remember the last time I reacted so strongly to an author. I will probably read "Cleaving" and my disdain for her as a person will grow.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, so are you saying read or no? I certainly don't want to buy it after this review but maybe I'll borrow it...

Janssen said...

I so deeply disliked Julia in her first book, that I can only imagine how I'd feel about her in this one. Bleck.

And yet, I'm still intrigued. . .

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it