Friday, September 25, 2009

Book #56: A Homemade Life

Title: A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from my Kitchen Table
Author: Molly Wizenberg

Some books about food demand savoring, others leave a bad taste in your mouth. But I gobbled up Molly Wizenburg's A Homemade Life like it was a pan of seven-layer bars. I know that some say that writers who started as bloggers often don't make good writers, but I think Wizenburg's book is an exception. I also know that some authors (like Robert Wolke in his Einstein series) include recipes to go along with each chapter of related text. But the stories from Wizenburg's life were so interesting that it seemed like the stories were a natural fit. I often skim through the recipes in books like these, but I actually made Wizenburg's ratatouille the day after I finished the book (filled with ingredients from our CSA-- yum!). I will admit that the second half of the book was better than the first (also true with a pan of seven-layer bars consumed in a single day)-- once she fell in love it started to feel too gushy about her perfect husband and their perfect wedding, etc... Maybe if I'd paced myself a little better, I would have appreciated the second half more. That's how I usually feel about baked goods.

No comments: