Saturday, September 5, 2009

Book #52: What Einstein Told His Cook 2: The Sequel: Further Adventures in Kitchen Science

Title: What Einstein Told His Cook 2: The Sequel: Further Adventures in Kitchen Science
Author: Robert L. Wolke

Wolke's humorous and slightly dorky approach to kitchen science really endeared me to him when I read What Einstein Told His Cook. While the science is just as interesting in the second volume, and I photocopied a few of the recipes for future baking experiments, I found myself groaning at Wolke's jokes this time around. I think he'd be a lot of fun to listen to in a one-hour lecture (he was a college chemistry professor before retiring to write full time), but reading corny joke after corny joke rubbed me the wrong way this time around. Still, if I need to know the best method for adding cream to coffee and keeping it piping hot (unlikely with my non-coffee-drinking status), he's the man I'd turn to to explain things intelligently and simply.

1 comment:

Blue said...

i'd never made coffee in my life before i got my current job. now i make coffee all the time. i've even mostly figured out what people mean when they say "regular" (for majority of latin people, light and very sweet. everyone else, 2 creams, 2 sugars. only we don't have individual creams, to i have to guess as i pour).

so i'd be interested in this technique because it's not like i went to "basic coffee making training 101". i have no idea if it's any good when i serve it.