Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Book #42: Doubt

Title: Doubt
Author: John Patrick Shanley

During our moving frenzy a few months ago, I sat down one night while Eddie was working and watched Doubt on pay per view. Well, at least I tried to watch it. But I fell asleep within the first fifteen minutes. But it's been on my reading list for a while, so last week while we were on our Shakespeare festival trip, I read Doubt. I remember listening to a Fresh Air interview a few months ago with Phillip Seymour Hoffman about his acting in the film version, and it made the play sound so interesting and engrossing. Once again, it just didn't grip me. Maybe it was the contrast of watching a really fantastic stage performance of Comedy of Errors with the slim spareness of the script. Maybe if watching Hoffman and Adams and Streep bring it to life would change my opinion. But I have a feeling I'd have to tackle it at a time when I'm not moving and exhausted.

1 comment:

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

I saw this on stage -- haven't seen the movie or read the play -- but the stage production was amazing! My husband was very disappointed in PSH's portrayal of the priest in the movie. If you have a chance to see the play -- DO!